2012 SLP GMC Sierra 1500 4WD Crew Cab SLT

After four days in this truck I began to feel something of an appreciation for how Genghis Khan must have felt as he charged into unsuspecting villages.

The 450 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque were intoxicating in this pickup, and the whine of the supercharger was a quick way to bring a smile to my face.

While docile under normal driving conditions, when dipping into the WEP War Emergency Power of the supercharger, the truck became even more enjoyable.

While the truck is no slouch, given its weight, the additional height from the off-road suspension and its oversize wheels, it feels much faster than a normal Sierra, but not as insanely quick as one would hope with the additional power of forced induction.

The TVS 1900 supercharger kit for the 5.3-liter gives you instant power when you tromp on the loud pedal. And loud it is, because with the addition of SLP exhaust tips, the truck has a burble and growl that makes a great addition to something with a high ride height and badges that say "supercharged" on the door.

Looking under the hood you can tell that this is no stock truck, despite being able to order the kit and products from the dealer without impacting the warranty.

But, the underhood finish of the kit leaves something to be desired. It looks both at home and not quite right. The kit would look better with a little less chrome and more flat accents; the shiny SLP air tube under the hood looks out of place.

The interior was the biggest letdown. Much to my surprise, the Katzkin interior treatment not only mixed two colors you shouldn't mix black and brown but it made it appear that the truck had far more miles on it than it actually did.

Judging from the play in the fabric and finish, I would have thought 30,000 miles had been ridden in the seats. Much to my horror, there were just more than 500 miles on the odometer when I grabbed the keys. I would have preferred the money be kept under the hood and the interior upholstery left stock.

The crew cab provided ample interior space for both front and rear passengers and for hauling groceries.

As I was in the process of moving, I filled the bed with my large items and hauled them to my new place.

The added height from the off-road suspension option worked well for setting and picking items up when loading and unloading.

Overall the truck is a lot of fun and useful if big trucks with big power tickle your fancy. The biggest problem I had over my time with it was keeping my foot out of the accelerator. While I was no fan of the interior appointments, I'll overlook it for the sound of the supercharger and the juvenile smile I often had.

By: David Arnouts

Comments

  1. Very nice truck. I've always really liked Ford F-150's but that is a really nice GMC.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Must-Have Apps of Samsung Galaxy Note

Breast Cancer Symptoms

Non-Surgical Medical Treatments for Acne Scars Using Fraxel Laser Treatments