2012 Mazda 6 i Sport

Base Price: $21,035
As-Tested Price: $21,665
Drivetrain: 2.5-liter I4; FWD, six-speed manual
Output: 170 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 167 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm
Curb Weight: 3,272 lb
Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 24/24.2 mpg
Options: Sirius satellite radio ($430); pearl paint ($200)

It's interesting in how the Sport model here is basically the entry-level trim package. I guess "sport" means different things to different people and manufacturers. One might think that a Sport model would get the more powerful engine. But maybe in Mazda's zoom-zoom world, even the least powerful base models are still sporty, so the name would still be appropriate.

And Mazda would be right. Even this base car with the 170-hp four-banger with a six-speed manual transmission is fun to drive. Mazda engineers know how to tune a suspension and dial in the kind of responsiveness that driving enthusiasts enjoy. Quick turn-in response and the kind of steering feel that lets you know where the front wheels are at all times is all part of the package.

While the cloth-covered manual seats would not be my first choice, it is encouraging to see just how much car you can buy for less than $22,000. Would I like the 272-hp V6 model better? I'm almost certain I would. But having said that, you could do much worse in a daily driver than this 2012 Mazda 6 i Sport.
By: Roger Hart

Mazda can call it the "sport" model all it wants, but this particular Mazda 6 trim belongs back at the rental-car lot. Sure, it comes with a stick shift and a zingy four-cylinder powerplant, but a plasticky black interior with urethane steering wheel and shift knob does not say sport. Neither do skinny tires with inexpensive-looking plastic wheel covers. It's a base fleet car with a manual gearbox.

I'll give the 6 credit for having excellent interior space; ironically, we rented one in Florida a few months ago and were able to stuff in the trunk all of the luggage for a week at Disney with two kids, plus said kids and booster seats fit in the Mazda with room to spare.

This example didn't suffer the same indignity, but rear legroom was much appreciated, and the car never felt claustrophobic despite the bargain trim. But it wasn't enjoyable to drive; dynamics, power, braking, steering--everything was up to par, but nothing was exceptional. The Mazda 6 just felt like an inexpensive base sedan.

If you need the space, the Mazda 6 Sport goes up against perennial best sellers such as the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry; buyers would also do well to look at the Chevrolet Malibu and the Ford Fusion. But the real competition for something like this comes from cars a step down in size. A better-equipped Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus or Chevrolet Cruze would be a far more compelling choice in this price range.
By: Andrew Stoy

Comments

  1. love it, where do I sign for one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, I had some bad experiences with a Mazda, so not really my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess you're giving it the thumbs down then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. not really my type of car but still..

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is really attractive interior there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a nice little car but I'm not a huge fan of mazda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like the design, and also especially with FWD

    ReplyDelete
  8. now that is a car I could easily drive

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't think I'll ever need to buy a car.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice cars... I still want a Tesla though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My girlfriend would like this one. Specifically the color. She loves red, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, no way I can afford that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah!!! I need it! I have an old Mazda 6 now... I wish I could afford to upgrade.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Must-Have Apps of Samsung Galaxy Note

Breast Cancer Symptoms

Non-Surgical Medical Treatments for Acne Scars Using Fraxel Laser Treatments