Symptoms of depression

Stress can lead to you to feeling 'down' and 'miserable'. What is different about a depressive illness is that these feelings last for weeks or months, rather than days.

In addition to feeling low most or all of the time, many other symptoms can occur in depressive illness (though not everybody has every one).
  • Being unable to gain pleasure from activities that normally would be pleasurable.
  • Losing interest in normal activities, hobbies and everyday life.
  • Feeling tired all of the time and having no energy.
  • Difficulty sleeping or waking early in the morning (though some feel that they can't get out of bed and 'face the world').
  • Having a poor appetite, no interest in food and losing weight (though some people overeat and put on weight  'comfort eating').
  • Losing interest in sex.
  • Finding it difficult to concentrate and think straight.
  • Feeling restless, tense and anxious.
  • Being irritable.
  • Losing self-confidence.
  • Avoiding other people.
  • Finding it harder than usual to make decisions.
  • Feeling useless and inadequate - 'a waste of space'.
  • Feeling guilty about who you are and what you have done.
  • Feeling hopeless - that nothing will make things better.
  • Thinking about suicide - this is very common. If you feel this way, talk to somebody about it. If you think somebody else might be thinking this way, ask them about it - it will not make them more likely to commit suicide.

Comments

  1. Depression is horrible. Good info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. One of my close friends was suffering from depresion. Lucky he didnt do anything stupid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes feel depressed and then I think of better things and how my life is going actually quite well. I only helps sometimes though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. depression is probably the most widespread of the psychological illnesses. And it is often more of a personality trait than a medical problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes depression is a real thing that is overlooked my many as simply a bad mood. as for fixing the templates on my blog, my guy & i fought with the computer. the computer won.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever gotten as far as depression, but I had anxiety disorder, which brought me very close to being diagnosed.

    It's definitely not a place I want to go to ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm good, if those are the criteria. :) I'll be sure to help people if they show the signs though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm I just thought I was lazy, but now I think I might be depressed...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always look on the bright side of life so i don't get depressed :-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes
    yes
    yes
    yes
    yes
    yes
    yes

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's a rampant condition in our society, like some other surging diseases. i've had to deal with clinical depression twice within the last ten years. don't you get the feeling it is an extraordinary event to feel good in today's culture, and simply not be depressed? i sure do. it's a major accomplishment given the injustice in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great information! You are doing a great service by sharing all the signs/symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello peeeps!!!! how are you bro?? i hope you are fine ;)

    Dude, cbox its free!!, most people have now this chat box (me too) i recommended 4 you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a theory that so many of us are depressed nowadays because we spend ALL OUR TIME indoors under fluorescent lights, and hardly any outside. It's just not normal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do feel kinda hopeless right now. It can't be helped.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lot of these symptoms sound familiar :\

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, this can be pretty serious. People should be more concerned if people they know suffer from these symptoms but there are still a lot of negative stereotypes associated with depression.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boy, depression has a lot of different symptoms...

    ReplyDelete
  19. depression has a wide range of causes effects and symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice post... I hate it when Ipm depressed...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Must-Have Apps of Samsung Galaxy Note

Breast Cancer Symptoms

Non-Surgical Medical Treatments for Acne Scars Using Fraxel Laser Treatments